While in Nova Scotia last month, I quilted three of my mother's photographs; "Plum Blossom" is the third of them. Here's what the final result looks like.
Here's a shot of a framed print of the same image hanging in a very angle-y room. I especially like this image with the silver frame ...
The materials that I began with for this quilt were very simple: a yard worth of the printed image, a yard and a quarter of a striated yellow fabric, and some matching thread in a variegated yellow, a taupe, and a white (I'd have to buy more white thread by the end of it as I decided to quilt the background with white instead of my originally planned yellow).
Here is the image printed on fabric (with the photographer's permission).
And here's the lovely yellow striated fabric that I found at Avonport Discount Fabric Centre in Avonport, Nova Scotia.
On a previous quilt ("Autumn Moss"), I had been playing around with using extra layers of batting behind the strongest elements to create an enhanced 3D effect. As such, I used two extra layers behind each of the most prominent bubbles in this quilt to do it again, but instead of quilting the layers together, I just quilted small lines into each bubble to secure the batting to the top fabric.
I cut away the extra double-layer of batting.
And once the overall backing batting and backing fabric were in place, I secured the bubbles to those layers by quilting a single line around the very edge of each of the puffy bubbles. Success!
I decided to use the yellow thread for every backing stitch on this quilt, and made up five bobbins to start ...
By the way, if you are interested in quilting your own yard-size images, check out this pre-cut 100% cotton batting. It was cheaper ($8 Canadian) for me to buy the batting at this pre-packaged size than it was to buy it off the roll, it was less messy, and to get the crease-lines out of the batting, I just threw it in the dryer for ten minutes. I ended up buying four bags of it for future projects because of the ease of it.
I stitched all the stems of the plum blossom with a light taupe thread. I find that if I don't provide myself with some visual start and stop guidelines when I'm quilting these photographs, that I get distracted by all the lines when at a close scale, and as such, I use pins to keep track of things.
Here's what the stems looked like when I was done (I had already started filling in the white spaces when I took this photograph, but you can see the effect that the straight lines provided against the more organic swirly design between them).
I'm new at this quilting thing, and don't know the "proper" names for anything, but as it turns out, this is called stippling, and I adore doing it. It feels like an absolutely natural motion to me and I could do it for hours—oh wait, I did!
I decided to use a yellow binding for this quilt that matched the yellow of the front of the quilt, and that made the back a single color/colour, and I have received many positive comments about the choice regarding how it matches both the front and back, but as I mentioned above, I very much prefer the silver frame around the paper-printed image. I may yet pull this binding off and put on a new one ...
Here's what the final quilt looks like, front and back.